Biodiesel Production from Cooking Oil
- Employ and train individuals to produce ASTM standard biofuels on a small scale from used cooking oil collected from restaurants and fried-food manufacturers.
- Reduce the cost of operating transportation and blight removal equipment.
- Create additional income streams from the sale of excess fuel. Produce up to 60,000 gallons ($300,000) per year of ASTM fuel and heating oil and 20,000 gallons of glycerin ($30,000).
By producing our own fuel we will be able to:
- Reduce the costs of operating the Urban Farm
- Fuel transportation and heavy equipment
- Generate emergency power for Veterans Village & Motor City Blight Busters operations
The excess fuel production will also generate income for the organization by selling it to partnering organizations.
- Filtered used cooking oil for WVO powered equipment
- ASTM biodiesel for off-road equipment transportation and home heating oil
- Glycerin for soup and boiler’s fuel
- Conversion of vehicles to run on both biodiesel and used cooking oil
- Diesel Fuel is $4.20 per gallon
- Cost of producing biodiesel is 80 cents a gallon
- Savings: $3.40 per gallon
Local production of biodiesel in the city of Detroit does not exist at this time
- Production Manager (1): $35,000
- Collection and Production staff (2): $30,000 ea.
- Light Industrial Commercial building: $25,000
- Springboard Biodiesel Plant: $25,000
- 1000 gallon storage tanks (x4) and containment systems: $10,000
- Collection and filtration pumps and centrifuges: $2000
- Grease collection tanks: $5000
- Collection truck: $40,000